For some reason September has become my month of change. Last September I challenged myself to a full 30 days of yoga. This September it's eating a vegan diet for a full 30 days. So far it really hasn't been too bad, I find myself cooking more and preparing meals ahead of time in the week. If you want to know more about my decision to go vegan check this post.
This is a recipe for a yummy caramel sauce that can be used for dipping, or even as a topping. I've been using it as a sweetener to my oatmeal. It's so good I also just eat it by the spoonful :)
- 12 onces Medjool or Halawy dates
- 1 1/2 cups of hot water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of coconut cream (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional.....but it makes it takes really good)
You are going to need a food processor of a blender
- Soak the dates in hot water for 5-10 mins.
- When they are ready you are going to peel the skin off with you fingers and remove the pit. This can take some time. I used two types of dates and found the Medjool dates where easier to peel. Save some of the water they were soaking in.
- In the food processor blend the dates until they are smooth and creamy. Here is where you add your ingredients. Add the Vanilla, and 2 table spoons of the sweet water you saved. process until smooth and add water as needed it its too thick.
- Add coconut cream. Do this at the end and blend until it is mixed in ( maybe 10 pulses)
- Taste! and added ingredients as needed. Lastly add in the lemon juice and salt, add more as needed to suit your taste.
This recipe was inspired by simplyrecipes.com